When it comes to snacking in-between meals, you really can’t go past #bustinganut.
Nuts are an incredible source of vitamins and minerals and are super tasty to boot. Check out the snapshot of health benefits below:
- Cashews: non haem (plant based) iron and a low GI rating
- Almonds: protein, calcium and vitamin E
- Pistachios: protein, potassium, plant sterols and the antioxidant resveratrol
- Chestnuts: low GI, fibre and vitamin C (although much vitamin C is lost during cooking)
- Hazelnuts: fibre, potassium, folate, vitamin E
- Macadamias: highest in monounsaturated fats, thiamin and manganese
- Pecans: fibre and antioxidants
- Walnuts: alpha linoleic acid: plant omega 3 and antioxidant
- Pine nuts: vitamin E and the arginine amino acid
- Brazil nuts: fibre and selenium: just two brazil nuts a day provides 100% RDI for selenium for an adult
If you’re not nuts about nuts already (not going to ease up on the Dad jokes anytime soon), here are 3 tips to get you started!
Tip #1 - Always Carry A Bag Of Nuts In Your Bag. Although I recommend pre-preparing your meals according to a weekly meal plan, sometimes life gets in the way and the urge to Pad Thai is strong. The next day, when you have that cheeky 3pm hunger craving, there are no pre-prepared leftovers to snack on. Enter the cheeky handbag stash of nuts. This way, you’ll always have something delicious and nutritious on hand.
Tip #2 - Eating one or two nuts before a meal decreases the GI of your food. This means you’ll stay fuller for longer, without peaks and troughs in energy. A great tip to keep in mind if you’re conscious about food portion sizes, or maintaining your energy levels at the office.
Tip #3 - Looking for something to #spreadonyourbread? There’s nothing better than walking into a health food store and getting some freshly ground nut butter. This ain’t the same pasty, sticky stuff you grew up eating at recess in between slices of sugary white bread. It’s infinitely more tasty, with a richer, buttery flavour that refined nut butter can’t get close to. Look for peanut, almond or cashew nut butter and go #bustanut all over your bread.